Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Slackware 9.1 and having a winmodem which is based on pctel chipset and using the corresponding driver now I was earlier using the same driver in mandrake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KPPP error

I am using Slackware 9.1 and having a winmodem which is based on pctel chipset and using the corresponding driver now I was earlier using the same driver in mandrake 9.2 and had no problems. NOw when I connect using KPPP I get the following error which I used to get in Mandrake also and the message as given:

The pppd daemon died unexpectedly!
    Exit status:19
    Apr 27 17:40:47 darkstar pppd[1437]: PAP authentication failed
    Check that you supplied the correct username and password!

Now this error would not appear if I added the option noauth in the pppd arguments list in mandrake but I get the following error while connecting and the connection is terminated.

Apr 27 17:43:42 darkstar pppd[1461]: using the noauth option requires root privilege

Kindly help me what I need to change.
    thanks

First check that there is no typo in kppp with your username, passwd for isp.
    Also run from CLI :

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages  <when attempting to connect>
    Post the relevant part of the logs here.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

don
    Linux Newbie
    i believe ur problem is because kppp by default is setup to be run with root previleges. try su ing before trying and check whether the error still exist
    I\'m just a simple fisherman blessed with a lot of friends

I am not a KDE fan, and the only reason I ever used it was for KPPP; (I couldn't connect without it at the time -- inexperience).
    I now use pppconfig and pon/poff (although I use a custom script I wrote for my needs). But if you like KDE and that is indeed your issue (root), there is an option under run: run as with KDE.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise