Find the answer to your Linux question:
I didn't know something so simple sounding could give me a big headache. All I want to do is set up the internet on my old Thinkpad running Ubuntu 5.0.4. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm stuck, don't exactly know what I'm doing...

I didn't know something so simple sounding could give me a big headache. All I want to do is set up the internet on my old Thinkpad running Ubuntu 5.0.4. I know I posted about this in the Ubuntu forum, but am starting to realize it isn't really a Ubuntu specific issue, I think I just don't know how to set it up. Using a 3com Etherlink PCMCIA card plugged into my router. The computer recognizes it, I think. It shows the connection as not working when I pop the card out of the computer. I have the connection I'm using set up for Eth0. I just don't know how the heck to set this up. I just want to connect the computer to the router, and play Kingdom of Loathing on the internet. I'm a Mac person, but my iBook died. I've messed around with Redhat 9, DSL linux, etc before, but put the older Ubuntu on the thinkpad, since it only has a 233 MHz P1, 64 mb ram, etc. I really don't like using windows, so I'm trying to get the linux laptop working.

Just Joined!
    Ok. Here's what I get if I enter "ifconfig eth0" in the terminal-
    Code:
    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:4B:ED:20:36
    inet addr:65.126.174.26 Bcast:65.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::210:4bff:feed:2036/64 Scope:link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:106 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:99
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0b)  TX bytes:26644 (26.0 KiB)
    Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300
    If I enter "route" in the terminal, I get the following-
    Code:
    Kernal IP routing table
    Destination      Gateway           Genmask        Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    65.0.0.0          *                255.0.0.0        U     0     0       0  eth0
    Anything wrong here?