Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I understand about NFS mounted filesystems, and have done many NFS mounts in the past at uni on an embedded system! ...BUT!!! I have just installed ubuntu linux onto ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NFS Mounted Filesystems

Hi, I understand about NFS mounted filesystems, and have done many NFS mounts in the past at uni on an embedded system! ...BUT!!! I have just installed ubuntu linux onto my desktop computer at home, and I would really like to NFS mount my home directory from uni to my desktop at home!

HOWEVER! I wish it was that simple! ...To get to my home directory in uni, i have to ssh into the main university server, then ssh to the main CEMS (computing department) server, then from there ssh to the local server used by students on "real time" computing courses;

ssh zeus.uwe.ac.uk (then login with my main uni account) then from there ssh milly.cems.uwe.ac.uk (then login using my CEMS account) then from there ssh kenny.netlab.cems.uwe.ac.uk (login with another account!!!) and then im into my home directory!!!!!!

Does anyone know if this is possible to do! and if so how!!! thanks!!!

You more than likely wont be able to mount the partition on the uni computer at home. This would require the NFS port to be forwarded from the outside world through the network to the box it is on. For a university, this is more than likely more than just one machine, in which case, they would need a main computer that would in turn mount the drives from the relevent boxes, which isn't really worth doing. Does the uni offer FTP access to your home at uni? I seem to recall reading somewhere that FTP shares can be mounted into the filesystem, though never looked into wether this was right and how to do it.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327