Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been looking for a good proxy program for some time now, but haven't had any luck. By proxy I don't mean just a cacheing program like squid, I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Looking for a good Proxy Program

I've been looking for a good proxy program for some time now, but haven't had any luck. By proxy I don't mean just a cacheing program like squid, I want one that will allow me to use the internet annonymously (I'm paranoid when it comes to secuirity). I'd prefer one that can stack/tunnel the proxies for more anonymity and has a list that it updates of working proxies. Anyone know a good program like this?

Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

There is a German proxy - called jap - http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/. Unfortunately they don't have any English website . Either you know German or know somebody who knows German - otherwise forget my reply.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Just Joined!

why squid?

Why squid? use it it is very powerful as I know.Try it. You can just install it using your os(It comes as a default proxy with many linux platforms )

Linux Newbie
    Doesn't squid just cache the web pages, rather than route your connection through another computer? I want an anonymous connection, not internet that SEEMS faster.

In addition your IP is hidden because all your requests originate from the squid's host. Thus the target website logs the squid's host IP and not your IP which you got from your ISP or which is static
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    I installed Privoxy, but when I try to run the privoxy command to start it, it tells me that

jroose@Jons-Laptop:~$ privoxy
    Feb 07 15:32:12 Privoxy(b7d976c0) Fatal error: can't check configuration file '/home/jroose/config': No such file or directory
    Feb 07 15:32:12 Privoxy(b7d976c0) Fatal error: can't check configuration file '/home/jroose/config': No such file or directory

Is there some configuration file that I have to manually install before I can run privoxy? I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 if it makes a difference.

Just Joined!
    I suggest tor http://tor.eff.org/
    with privoxy as above
    and squid cache to help speed up the network. The handy thing about tor is it will hide your ip by using a network of like minded individuals, privoxy will strip offending articles from headers etc.

More configs than I know, then squid as any proxy will slow down surfing.