Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've got a bit of a problem, after a lot of persuading our dean finaly let us modernise our library network. But there is a problem becouse of always ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Student Library Network

Hi,

I've got a bit of a problem, after a lot of persuading our dean finaly let us modernise our library network. But there is a problem becouse of always limited funding this is the how we thought of doing it (see the diagram below).

We'll probably get two high speed internet lines into our building(might be only one) and I thought these could be connected to a server whitch would do the job of load balancing, firewalling and routing. And becouse the access to the internet needs to be restricted only to studentes and faculty that are using the library there probably needs to be some kind of authentication. I was thinking of something along the lines the student is issued a randomly generated username and password by the attendant each time they enter the library and then types the authentication into a browser when accessing the internet the first time (the 6 access points on the digram). Some one once mentioned a radius server or omething similar. Is there anything out there that could generate access codes and then print them out and not let someone access the web without authenticating.

But there are also two small auditoriums that would sometimes need to have access to the internet non restricted (the 2 access ponts on the giagram). Could it bi done so that an attendent could via a web interface turn on and off the link tu the APs?

And third there are going to be up to about twelve PCs hooked up to the same network but not restricted. Is there any way of seting up the network so that the other clients on the network couldn't see these PCs?

Forth can I accomplishe all this using a server with multiple netwokr inputs and running a linux os?
    I mean offcourse it can be done, but is my attempt futile?

I know it's a bit complicated but if I don't get it done it's not going to get done for a cuple more years so I'll really appreciate any advice, info and help from anyone.

Thanks for the help and best reguards

The network diagram:

Just Joined!
    Well I did a little digging and found out that actually all I need is a radius server.
    And I was reading something about Chillspot is there any way od using these things for the setup of the library network.
    I figured out that I could insert a multi port network card into the server and then just hook up the the auditorium access points to these ports and then just make a PHP script that would enable or disable the ethernet port(eth3 up or down).
    I just don't know yet how to solve the problem of printing the authentication fo clients.

Thanks for the help