Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am running redhat 8.0 and i have kernel 2.4.20-28.8 on my box. i just got a mercury realtek 8139 ethcard that i configured but it is only returning ping ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

realtek not working with kernel 2.4.20-28.8

i am running redhat 8.0 and i have kernel 2.4.20-28.8 on my box. i just got a mercury realtek 8139 ethcard that i configured but it is only returning ping to its self and nothing else.
    i need help on how to solve this.
    aytope

Linux Newbie
    ifconfig
    will tell you if everything is correctly set up.
    try that first.

Just Joined!
    i ran ifconfig and it shows the card was configured properly since it returned the inet,bcast and mask addresses.when i ping the card it returned but when i ping the gateway it returned"netwok unreachable error"
    ifconfig sjhows the card to be up and running.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    have you tried pinging an external site?

another thing: are you using dhcp to get your IP or PPPoE?

what is the content of your network scripts?? are they using dhcp or are the values for netmask, broadcast, etc hardcoded into the scripts??
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    i have a static ipaddress. i pinged the proxy server but it was the same error so there is no way it will get anything outside.the networking scrpts shows the addresses i had configure manually and everyting seems to be ok.
    juat wondering if the problem has nothing to do with the kernel.

Linux Engineer
    if ifconfig is listing eth0 as up, then it is not a problem with the kernel... you may want to check /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf to make sure they are configured correctly... /etc/hosts is the list of hosts on the network (including 127.0.0.1 localhost)... /etc/resolv.conf is a list of DNS servers to use... /etc/resolv.conf is delimited by newline chars...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr