Find the answer to your Linux question:
Another newbie here looking for some wireless help. I have Mandrake 10 official on my laptop. I am running a D-Link G650 Wireless card with the Linuxant Drive Loader program. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Network Information

Another newbie here looking for some wireless help. I have Mandrake 10 official on my laptop. I am running a D-Link G650 Wireless card with the Linuxant Drive Loader program. The network card works and no diconnects as I have heard with others.

What I would like to know is

1. How can I monitor through a GUI or some other app the network I am attached to, the through put and other relavant info, and how to quickly configure another network name?

I guess I'm used to a GUI showing connection name, speed and wireless network.

2.Enabling WEP or equivelent. I have WEP or WPPA I believe set on my wirelss router. How can I enable this or can some one provide me some guidance.

Thanks

hex
    Just Joined!

wireless network config

i downloaded the latest wireless tools package from i believe
    linux-wlan.org, your system may allready have them installed though, i think some installs come with them allready. i know you want a gui, and mine came with one, but i had some trouble installing it. you can see if you have the progs by going to the console and typing
    <root># iwconfig

i have to do this in root on my laptop for some reason. if you have the iwconfig pror then you can change settings from there. look for instructions on the linux-wlan.org page. you should then also have lvnet, and you can run it with
    <root># lvnet

this is a more graphical approach and gives you decent control over your wep settings and connection mode, as well as ssid and such. this prog runns at the command prompt but is still "graphical", maybe just not as much as you would like.
    well, those are what i use, so im not sure of any others. give it a try.

Just Joined!

Thanks

I've been a little busy to reply back, but I will give it a try and get back to you... everyone.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

wireless tools

You can grab the wireless tools here, and lots of instructions for installing, etc. good luck....

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_...nux/Tools.html

MB

Just Joined!

Thanks., I will check it out and let you know how it goes.

NM