Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I think this should be an FAQ but could not find a right keyword to google ... I'm using a wireless router and I have two computers sharing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ssh ip address

Hi all,

I think this should be an FAQ but could not find a right keyword to google ...

I'm using a wireless router and I have two computers sharing the network, mine on linux and another not. Now I can ssh using the inet address from other computer. But I cannot ssh from outside. Say the ip address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, and inet address 192.168.1.35, how should I use ssh from outside? ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx doesn't work ...

Thanks!

In the router, you need to forward the ssh port (22 by default) to your Linux machine's address. Then from the outside, you can ssh to your router's external address, and the router will pass it on to your Linux box.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Don't forget to harden your system you want to access from the inet. There are a lot of scriptkiddies who execute portscans for port 22 and try to log in !
    One change I made on my system reduced the number of illegal ssh requests form the inet by 99%: Usage of another port than port 22 in my sshd config
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Thanks all, it works. And I will try to use port 1xxxx, .