Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Thanks for the input. I have a difficult situation that needs all help. currently setup is WAN router connect to a switch, then all workstations connect to switch, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

firewall server routing setup

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I have a difficult situation that needs all help.

currently setup is WAN router connect to a switch, then all workstations connect to switch, router and workstation are using same subnet, like 168.1.X.X

What I want is to setup a firewall server (2 NIC cards) between Router and swith.

how do I setup this firewall without changing WAN router configuration? Another word, if this case, two NIC cards will have same IP subnet, but how is routing going to work?

Thanks.

I don't think you will be able to insert the router without changing either the WLAN router defs or to change the clients. One of them has to have a different net. Depending on the WLAN router IP there is a small possibility to set the netmask of both sides of the router such that there will be two different nets created...
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Just Joined!
    someone mentioned to use bridge mode, and ip forwarding, how can I configure it?

please help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    echo 1 > /proc/net/ipv4/ip_forward

This will enable forwading

Quote Originally Posted by steeles
    someone mentioned to use bridge mode, and ip forwarding, how can I configure it?

please help.
    That's a prerequisite. But in any case you need two different networks ...
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds