Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I installed Core6 from CD's and I had a problem when I set up 2 NIC's for DHCP. Install was successful, I had connectivity on both NIC's, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up 2 NIC's during install - no route?

Hi All,

I installed Core6 from CD's and I had a problem when I set up 2 NIC's for DHCP. Install was successful, I had connectivity on both NIC's, but later when I tried to change them both to static the routes got ALL screwed up and I couldn't seem to fix it - something about a 169.* route that got added to one of the NIC's from somewhere...

So when I installed from scratch again, I thought I would set both NIC's to the desired static IP's and appropriate DNS servers. This time the installer couldn't find the Extras Repository. I'm thinking Core6 didn't have any default routes so no network connectivity.

So what should be the proper work flow to get the desired connectivity during install and will let me end up with 2 static address NIC's when I'm done? Should I cfg one NIC during install to use DHCP, then switch it to static IP - post install? Then cfg the second NIC with it's static IP?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Corey.

Just Joined!
    can you get anything from route add default gw? youre not trying to run 2 nics to the same router are you? etc etc

Just Joined!
    Hi Mad,

In my first install, the 2-NIC's on DHCP (eth0, eth1) worked fine until I changed them over to static. eth0 had a default route and a gw to the router and it was okay, but with eth1, with no router nor gw, I couldn't get any traffic out nor in. eth1 was on a completely separate network.

And eth1 kept getting this 162.159.*.* route added by the kernel - which I had no idea where that came from. I would delete the routes and re-add them back and when I reboot the routes would be hosed again.

Another variable is that I was using webmin to admin the routes. I've never had probs with webmin on other RedHats for doing net config...maybe I should remove that from the picture.

But, I still need to know what would be the best way to cfg the NIC's on install...

C.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk
    And eth1 kept getting this 162.159.*.* route added by the kernel - which I had no idea where that came from.
    Sorry for not having much clues, but this mysterious default address 162.159.x.x sets the kernel generally when there is a temporary default address that doesn't get populated properly during set up.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.