Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed gentoo linux last week and I have been fighting with a few errors, a while back I couldn't dhcp but thats all solved and I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No internet, but network connection

I just installed gentoo linux last week and I have been fighting with a few errors, a while back I couldn't dhcp but thats all solved and I have a new error. My dhcp error was resolved but I cant connect to the internet at all. The weird thing is that I have access to my home network, I can ping other computers on it and they can ping me but I cant ping anything out on the internet such as google. Recently I have also been having this error in windows as well, but I would normally fix it by releasing my ip and then renewing it. I tried dhcpcd -k and then dhcpcd eth1 in linux, but it didn't help...any ideas?
    Thanks

Linux Newbie
    Try resetting you router and see if that helps. Backup the settings first tho! What router are you using? i.e make and model

Best Of Luck,

Tim

Just Joined!
    Resetting my router doesn't remedy the problem, I have a netgear RP614 router, and my computer is connected through a netgear FS605 switch

Linux Newbie

Post Uhoh

I can't say that I'll be able to give you any more meaningful information because I don't know very much about switches. However, I felt that it was evil not to try and get some info for you so I found a couple of links to similar questions.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...suse-10-a.html

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/se...ms&qt_s=Search

I hope this helps you!

All the very best,

Tim

P.s. I think I had the same problem on this PC. The router said it was connected but it refused to let me connect over the LAN. What I did was reset the router with the installation CD and create a static LAN as well as upgrading the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro
    The weird thing is that I have access to my home network, I can ping other computers on it and they can ping me but I cant ping anything out on the internet such as google.
    You didn't mention whether you were pinging by ip or domain name? If you can ping the ip but not the domain name then the problem is with DNS.

But you also say you are having the same problem with your win pc which would suggest you are loosing the connection either from the isp side or at your router.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rong
    You didn't mention whether you were pinging by ip or domain name? If you can ping the ip but not the domain name then the problem is with DNS.

But you also say you are having the same problem with your win pc which would suggest you are loosing the connection either from the isp side or at your router.
    Okay, I can ping google by ip but not domain so I guess the problem is with DNS then

Just Joined!
    I just got it working, but I dunno why. My nameservers are set in my router settings so they should not have to be in /ect/resolv.conf correct. Well thats how I fixed it, when I put my nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf it workds

Yes, they do have to be configured in each distro so that's why it's working now. Some distros capture the info when you install but for some reason it was missed on your Gentoo install. If you are using a static ip then you do have to manually enter it during the install, otherwise if dhcp it should have caught it. Anyway, it works and that's good.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?