Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, I have a linux box and a windows 2003 server , both are connected through wireless router..I can ping Linux box from windows but from linux box I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Linux-Windows Netwroking

Dear All,

I have a linux box and a windows 2003 server , both are connected through wireless router..I can ping Linux box from windows but from linux box I can't ping windows box..any clue ?

I want to access my oracle application(resides in Linux) from windows machine using http

can anyone guide me what are the neccessary steps I need to follow

Thanks in Advance
    -Manik

I suppose the Windows box is running a firewall, have you tried disabling it? it it blocking ICMP?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    I suppose the Windows box is running a firewall, have you tried disabling it? it it blocking ICMP?
    Hi
    I tried disabling the firewall in windows box...but still can't ping linux hostname from windows..any clue please help...I can ping the network ip of linux from windows and windows network ip as well as machine name from linux...but still can't access using http to linux box's oracle application...
    How to check ICMP can you guide me..
    Thanks in advance
    -Manik

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by manikkha
    I can ping the network ip of linux from windows and windows network ip as well as machine name from linux...but still can't access using http to linux box's oracle application...
    Looks like either your DNS server on your WIN box is not configured correctly or your Linux box is not included in your DNS.

I suspect you only have to add the Linux box name in your etc.hosts file on your WIN box.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by framp
    Looks like either your DNS server on your WIN box is not configured correctly or your Linux box is not included in your DNS.

I suspect you only have to add the Linux box name in your etc.hosts file on your WIN box.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply it worked, I had to add the IP and hostname.domain of linux box in etc->hosts of windows box..I can now login...but the IP i specified was given by router..which may change.Is that correct to specify router assigned IP in hosts file?
    Thanks Again
    -Manik

Quote Originally Posted by manikkha
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply it worked, I had to add the IP and hostname.domain of linux box in etc->hosts of windows box..I can now login...but the IP i specified was given by router..which may change.Is that correct to specify router assigned IP in hosts file?
    This doesn't make sense. An entry in /etc/hosts has to be a fixed IP. Check your router configuration for DHCP settings. There your should be able to define static (fixed) IP addresse for a specific MAC address which is unique. Then your systems should get static IP addresses and an entry in /etc/hosts makes sense.

To get the MAC address form your card: Just invoke 'ifconfig ethx' and the HWAddr is the MAC addresse. I don't know how to get the MAC on a windows box - sorry.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds