Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have recently switched to a new internet provider that uses vpn connection. Well, there was not trouble setting it up on Windows... but on Linux... The provider is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation After trying to configure VPN connection on Fedora Core 6, X server is dead...

Hello,
    I have recently switched to a new internet provider that uses vpn connection. Well, there was not trouble setting it up on Windows... but on Linux... The provider is Corbina (Moscow), and they've got a Linux forum, but with no clear instructions on how to set it up. The automated scripts I tried failed, kvnpc failed (although it does say that the connection has been established... no internet though).
    After playing around with some settings in the network manager, then rebootin, grub shows up, windows loads fine. Howeverm when I load Fedora, it comes up with gui during strat up (ie. setting up newtworking etc). I can move my mouse etc etc, but when it's time for the login screen, there's just a black screen! No command line or nothing.
    1. What's up with X (probably means I would have to reinstall FC6 again...)?
    1. Does anyone know of any clear instructions (step by step) for a TOTAL newbie on how to set up vpn in linux?

Thanks in advance!
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

Linux Enthusiast
    We will need any errors from the X Server. When your computer looks like it has done as much starting up as it is going to, hold down control and alt and press f1. This will put you onto another terminal. Log in and type startx.

If this doesn't work it should kick you back to the text prompt. Post the output of the Xorg log here. You should be able to find it in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. If it does work then we will try and figure something else out.

For the VPN, we will need to know what kind of VPN it is (there are three major types: ipsec, pptp and ssl). Is the forum you referred to in English? If so, post a link to it so we can take a peek there too. If not, can you post anything that looks like relevant settings here. Hopefully we can get some concise instructions together for everyone else.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Hey Chris!
    Right..

1. control_alt_f1 does not work. I've tried all the combinations of those keys and nothing happens. Just a black screen. There are no errors showing up.

2. My xorg.log file way too long to post here, but I've skimmed through it and there doesn't seem to be any errors. Not at the beginning or at the end.

3. The VPN connection is pptp. The only two things that my provider gave me were my user name and password.

4. Unfortunately, the forum is only in russian, so it is pretty useless, unless you know russian.

5. The forum is on LAN, so I don't think you can directly access the web pages. But try it here anyway - http://homenet.corbina.net/index.php...c=13988&hl=vpn (check the links for the screenshots in the first post). I've got pptp installed, but the command
    Code:
    pptp-command setup
    does not work.
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    If you only get blank screens, how are you able to view the Xorg log file?

The forum screenshots seem to have all of the details you need. You said it connected but you couldn't get online: Could you connect again and then post the output of the following commands:

Code:
    ifconfig
    route
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    ping www.google.com
    Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

About viewing xorg files... I have still windows installed, and I can access the files (read only) through explorer2fs program (very usefull). Well, it seems that I can't get X to work, so that means I'll have to reinstall fedora, probably next Saturday. I will post the output in about a week.
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64

Well, everything is sorted now. I have re-installed Fedora Core 6 (configuring it right now). I followed the VPN tutorial from here - http://homenet.corbina.net/index.php?showtopic=58937 (it's in Russian, so if anybody wants, I'll translate that). After going though the thread, I have finally got VPN internet up and running!
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64