Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello there, im using slackware 11 with a kernel version 2.6.17.13, I surf the internet through my eth0 which is a realtek network adapter, im using an aztech adsl-600e modem, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network between slack and windows xp

Hello there, im using slackware 11 with a kernel version 2.6.17.13, I surf the internet through my eth0 which is a realtek network adapter, im using an aztech adsl-600e modem, I got another net adapter (Marvell Yukon) which connects to the other computer in my home that runs windows xp, I looked up for different guides that really didn't help me out unfortunately..

ifconfig -a gives me (if that might help) :
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:4D:03:6C:22
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:4707 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:4700 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:3765077 (3.5 MiB) TX bytes:802139 (783.3 KiB)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xa000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:EA:78:3D:04
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:62 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:10922 (10.6 KiB) TX bytes:384 (384.0 b)
    Interrupt:10 Memory:fb004000-0

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:100 (100.0 b) TX bytes:100 (100.0 b)

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
    inet addr:88.152.109.237 P-t-P:88.152.109.1 Mask:255.255.255.255
    UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
    RX packets:4609 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:4603 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    RX bytes:3657715 (3.4 MiB) TX bytes:694907 (678.6 KiB)

im quite desperate.. plz help me
    gonroise.

As at home, I am using still a modem with an old FreeBSD and at work I am using only straight Ethernet as Internet is done by our IT department, I first have to make an asumption.

Presumably you connect the ADSL modem to eth0. I reckon, the setup software for the ADSL modem then uses something like IP forwarding or the like and therefore your eth0 doesn't have an IP address, as the Internet provider sees the IP address in ppp0.

But if you want to run IP traffic to your XP box, eth1 needs an IP address. Easiest thing to do would be to look up the IP address in your IP box and then assign an IP address within the range of the netmask to eth1.

E.g.: XP has 192.168.1.6, so do a "ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.5".
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    the IP address that is assigned to the XP box is 192.168.0.13 so I should do something like ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.5, right? but my question is: should I do something with eth0? should I configure an IP address to it too? because on the XP box the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 , so should I attach this address to eth0 ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I mean the XP box connects to my computer through the 192.168.0.1 address (that was configured when I was running XP too) , so do u think I should attach this address to eth0?

Just Joined!
    When I loaded up windows xp in my box I've noticed in the network configuration that 192.168.0.1 was assigned to the Marvell Yukon net adapter and the other net adapter (RTL8139) has no ip address assigned to it (its the same adapter im connecting to the net through it)..
    that kinda confused me because now I don't know what ip address should i assign to eth1 and which one to eth0

(notice that the other computer is connected through 192.168.0.1 as I saw in the ipconfig and the IP assigned to the other computer is 192.168.0.13)

First, I presume your Internet connection is already working. I wouldn't change anything on eth0.
    I don't have any practical or theoretical knowledge about the ADSL adapter, but I guess, eth0 is without IP address because ppp0 has already one and chaining IP addresses isn't wanted here.

Well, I'm a little bit confused by the following postings, but staying with the first reply: when your XP box has already 192.168.0.13, I would set eth1 to 192.168.0.x, 192.168.0.5, e.g.

Note that 192.168.1.5 wouldn't do it as the netmask is presumably 22.255.255.0.

I hope I understood it right. You surf the Internet with your Linux PC over eth0 with an ADSL modem in front of it and you connect to your XP box via eth1.

I think if you want to connect to the Internet from your XP box, too, you would need some bridging software as with the setup above you get only two different networks that have no connection in between.

A bridging software is relatively simple. It takes packets from eth1 and sends them to eth0 and vice versa, but your ADSL modem has presumably such a programm or install option.

Just Joined!
    mm, you got that right, that's actually what I want to do..
    but I've noticed something really really strange.. when I log to windows xp on my computer (the one that has also linux on it) and I try to ping 192.168.0.13 (my parents' comp) I got nothing but "Request Timed Out", but when I go to my parents' comp (the one that has ONLY win xp) and I ping 192.168.0.1 (my comp) evertyhing goes alright..

mmm I also noticed that im connecting from linux to the net via eth1 and not eth0:

root@darkstar:/# ethtool -i eth0
    driver: sk98lin
    version: 6.23(v1.3)
    firmware-version: N/A
    bus-info: 0000:02:09.0
    root@darkstar:/# ethtool -i eth1
    driver: 8139too
    version: 0.9.27
    firmware-version:
    bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
    root@darkstar:/#

so I tried to 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.13' just as u said and it didn't work :\
    I just want my parent can browse the net, I dont need any file sharing and this stuff..

thanks again,
    gonroise.

When there appears confusion, you can do the following things:

Let ethereal run to monitor the Ethernet traffic on that particular machine.

Try also arping, particularly with option " -I ethx" to force the arping to go over the specified Ethernet device. Arping shows also the involved MAC address, so you get more (hopefully clarifying) clues.
    Together with "cat /proc/net/arp" and ethereal you should have a better view.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the bridging software. Isn't there something in the manual of this ADSL modem? That's quite a common application that peole are doing when the buy such a modem.

I don't know if the "default gateway" with "ipconfig" of the XP box could be helpful, as this is what you want to: connecting a newtork (of only two computers) to the Internet via such an ADSL modem.

Just Joined!
    mm ethereal doesn't work for me :\

look at this:
    root@darkstar:~# arp -i eth0
    arp: in 0 entries no match found.
    root@darkstar:~# arp -i eth1
    arp: in 0 entries no match found.
    root@darkstar:~# cat /proc/net/arp
    IP address HW type Flags HW address Mask Device

there's nothing in the manual that deals with bridging software .. I wouldn't ever thought that it'd be as hard as cracking the atom.. damn.

Isn't ethereal installed at all or is there a problem running it? You must be root to run it properly. Normally, when it's installed, it's in /usr/sbin/ethereal or /usr/bin/ethereal. There is often also tethereal, a command line version like tcpdump.

To the empty arp tables I cannot say much, as I never had this. Does show ifconfig an IP address for those devices?

arp tables get populated by arpings. "arping -I eth0 13.1.1.1" sends an arp packet over eth0 onto the network to query another device with IP address 13.1.1.1 for its MAC address and when it gets a response it writes into the arp table: to reach IP address 13.1.1.1 my Ethernet devices have to talk to another network device with that MAC address, as Ethernet as transport layer doesn't care what IP is, it works only between MAC addresses.

If not try to run tcpdump or anything similar, as with those tools you can see the packets on the screen. That's much easier than making theoretical assumptions.

Without those tools, networking is like doing electrics without multimeter.

For the bridging question, you could start a new thread, here or elsewhere. Millions of people have done this already.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast