Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have had a webserver setup for a some time without any issues, but I recently switched my netgear Switch to a Linksys Wireless Router, and have begun to have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Provding a static IP to server behind Linksys Router

I have had a webserver setup for a some time without any issues, but I recently switched my netgear Switch to a Linksys Wireless Router, and have begun to have issues with DHCP.

The Switch I had always gave a specific IP based on the port the PC was pluged into. The Router does not do it this way, and now when every my Server reboots, I get a new IP which make all my port forwarding, etc in the router useless.

I have attempted to setup my ETH0 on the server with a static IP in the same DHCP range, but that does not work.

Can someone point me to an existing post, or post some ideas on how to keep the IP static?

Linux Guru

Just Joined!

Stay out of the DHCP range

I just got a Linksys router after having a D-Link. The D-Link allowed fixed mapping of DHCP like you mentioned. I wanted to fix the IP addresses of my two linux boxes in my local subnet. I found that if I stay out of the DHCP range it works. I have DHCP assigned to 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.109. I put my linux boxes at 192.168.1.99 and 192.168.1.98. That has worked fine.

The windows boxes use DHCP and they wonder all over the range as they come on and off the network.

Mike

Just Joined!

Thank You!!!

jasonlambert & bquark,

Thank you for your posts!! Between the two post, I have been able to get everything working.

Steps:
    1) Setup ETH0 for DHCP
    2) Left /etc/resolve.conf alone - no changes
    3) Changed debian /etc/network/interfaces to static with an IP outside of the DHCP range of my router.
    4) restarted network init.d entry.

This is all it took.

Thannks for the help!!!!!