Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently have a HSP Micro Modem that I am tryting to test on Linux. As I have never used a modem before (in Linux at least), I'm having a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Modem Setting

I currently have a HSP Micro Modem that I am tryting to test on Linux. As I have never used a modem before (in Linux at least), I'm having a bit of trouble setting this up.

I believe this modem is not a serial modem. Because of this, I am trying to manually set it to one of the serial ports before I can do anything. As my motherboard has already taken COM1 and COM2, the next free slot is COM3. With that in mind, I do the following to grab the IRQ and I/O address for the modem.
    Code:
    $ lspci -v
    0000:00:0b.0 Communication controller: PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 (rev 01)
            Subsystem: PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56
            Flags: stepping, medium devsel, IRQ 9
            I/O ports at a000
            Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
    Next, I run the following commands:
    Code:
    $ setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0xa000 irq 9
    $ setserial /dev/ttyS2 autoconfig
    After doing this, I notice that my UART setting hasn't been discovered and my IRQ has been changed to 2.
    Code:
    $ setserial -g /dev/ttyS2
    /dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0xa000, IRQ: 2
    I do not have a phone cable plugged in to my modem. Could this be the reason why my UART setting isn't detected? (It's not plugged in because the phone jack is like ... 50 ft away from my PC). Furthemore, why is the IRQ 2?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer

Winmodem

Hehe, after doing some research, I found that this is a winmodem. Is there anyway to know how to distinguish a windmodem over a regular modem in Linux? My thought was that once it showed up on "lspci -v" it was all good.
    The best things in life are free.