Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All I would like to connect 2 laptops, mine running Kubuntu Edgy with, not mine, running Vista to the internet via one source. Using an IBURST wireless broadband PCMCIA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kubuntu-vista laptops sharing pcmcia internet, possible?

Hi All

I would like to connect 2 laptops, mine running Kubuntu Edgy with, not mine, running Vista to the internet via one source. Using an IBURST wireless broadband PCMCIA for internet connection.

Also, using wlan on kubuntu but can install knetworkmanager if it is preferred.

Can it be done, please givedetailed howto if so, I am a newbie to networking.

Many thanks.

How about buying a wireless router and connect this to your broadband cable/dsl-modem? The other end is done by your wireless PCMCIA cards.

Or it is necessary that one notebook acts as a software router? Second solution is cheaper, much complicated and not so much versatile.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    thanks dilbert

how about buying a wireless router and connect this to your broadband cable/dsl-modem?
    expensive esp that it will be for temp purpose...

The other end is done by your wireless PCMCIA cards.
    I should have clarified, the pcmcia goes into the laptop and transmits wireless broadband, a mobile version.

Or it is necessary that one notebook acts as a software router? Second solution is cheaper, much complicated and not so much versatile.
    this is what i would like to do, cheaper=better
    the result is worth the complications

Just Joined!
    Ok I bought a crossover Ethernet cable today to use while figuring out how to connect them wirelessly, but could not configure properly.

any ideas would be great

I have never done this, but you need to get hold of a instruction page like Linux (and Vista) HOWTO and the like, or FAQ, for a software router.

I think this will be the main work. If this is done you need only to replace the Ethernet addresses of the network cards (with the cross-over in between) with the Ethernet addresses of the PCMCIA cards.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.