Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all i have setup a dns server and when i nslookup a external domains it works and the internal domain which i setup works fine to but this is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

query about dns

hi all

i have setup a dns server and when i nslookup a external domains it works and the internal domain which i setup works fine to but this is only when using nslookup on the server it self, When i do nslookup on my windows machine it does the external fine but does not pick up the internal domain i setup. I have got the isp dns server listed and the ip of my internal dns server but this does not resolve the problem is there something i am doing wrong.

Have i got to have all the machines plugged into the dns server then the dns server plugged into the modem/router/internet etc.

Thanks for any help given.

paul

Just Joined!
    Hi again

I have sorted the problem. It seems, to pickup the internal dns server when the machines are connected to the dns server and set the gateway and nameserver on the machines to the ip of the dns server. Then when you use nslookup on any machine that connect to the dns server the testdomain can be resolved from anywhere in the internal network.

Thanks

Paul