Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all you iperf users! Anyone had this error message with iperf: "write failed: Connection reset by peer"? On the Internet, I found only someone saying that happens if older ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

iperf: "write failed: Connection reset by peer"

Hello all you iperf users!

Anyone had this error message with iperf: "write failed: Connection reset by peer"?

On the Internet, I found only someone saying that happens if older iperf processes don't get killed.

But that's not the case with my setup.

I am connecting a board with a MIPS processor running a custom 2.6 kernel to a standard Linux PC running Red Hat with 2.6 kernel via an Ethernet cross-ver cable and a USB host-to-host cable.

I can run the benchmark programs ttcp and netperf in both directions on this system.

But iperf can only run when the MIPS board is the sender and the PC the receiver.

The other way around, iperf launches this "write failed: Connection reset by peer" messages.

The interesting thing is that this happens always after the PC has sent 18 TCP packets (and got 18 responses). Then this disobient MIPS board dares to send an RST (reset) TCP packet for no apparent reason.

If I try different data packet sizes, no matter, this RST packet comes always after 18 TCP packets (in one direction).

If I try UDP, the PC sends only two UDP packets that get each one responded by an ICMP packet (data value 03) saying "Port unreachable".

The effect is the same. iperf prints out the same error.

The same thing happens with the cross-over cable over an Ethernet port as well as with the USB host-to-host cable on a USB port.

Anyone has a clue why the MIPS board is doing this?
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

The other way around, iperf launches this "write failed: Connection reset by peer" messages.

The interesting thing is that this happens always after the PC has sent 18 TCP packets (and got 18 responses). Then this disobient MIPS board dares to send an RST (reset) TCP packet for no apparent reason.

If I try different data packet sizes, no matter, this RST packet comes always after 18 TCP packets (in one direction).
    Can you check, if IPERF is still listening on the specific TCP port (on MIPS) after it sends RST packet?

If I try UDP, the PC sends only two UDP packets that get each one responded by an ICMP packet (data value 03) saying "Port unreachable".
    Does IPERF listen on UDP port?
    ---------------------------------
    Registered Linux User #440311
    HI2ARUN _AT_ GMAIL _DOT_ COM

No, on the MIPS board, where I started iperf with "iperf -s", it says then: "Killed".

/var/mnt/target/drivers # ./iperf-receive
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Server listening on TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 42.7 KByte (default)
    Killed
    Server listening on TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 42.7 KByte (default)
    Killed

"iperf-receive" is only a wrapper script that calls "iperf -s" in an endless while loop to save me from typing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No, on the MIPS board, where I started iperf with "iperf -s", it says then: "Killed"
    Hey, does this mean that when u invoke "iperf -s", it is immediately getting killed or it stays listening for sometime and then killed?
    Registered Linux User #440311
    HI2ARUN _AT_ GMAIL _DOT_ COM

It stays there for a fraction of a second. It actually measures something on the other side where I launched "iperf -c 13.1.1.1", e.g.

First, I didn't recognize the line with the error message in between the other statistics output from iperf until I was wondering why the results are not only strange but vary also a lot.

Just Joined!
    Hey,
    Does anybody know how to send 1/4 of the bandwidth using iperf. Thanks