Find the answer to your Linux question:
Refer to the my attached diagram of my network situation. I need to route 80.x.x.10 through my linux box so that I can access the net. I am sure someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sure you have seen this before - help me!

Refer to the my attached diagram of my network situation.
    I need to route 80.x.x.10 through my linux box so that I can access the net.

I am sure someone has pondered on this more than once.

Thanxs
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are going to have to move your 80.XX to your first switch. Or you will need to dual nic your linux box.

You can't share a gateway with to different networks silly.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Configs on the Second NIC????

what would be the configs for the second NIC - am new with this thing

My point is I want to benefit from nice features of this linux box so I dont want to by-pass it even if I need to give Public IPs on hosts on the private LAN side.

Well I can't just give you the configs because there are several ways to do it. I suggest to just add another one and play with it. You are trying to figure out this linux thing you need to just take the bull by the horns.

When you add it it should show up as eth1. You can then go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and edit that with private addresses.

Might be easier just to add the one node before the linux box.

Essentially if you add another nic to your linux box that first switch is not needed anymore you will have a public interface and a private of which you have now you are just doing it from a switch instead of with the linux box. Since you just want one node to be public just connect it to the first switch and you will be good to go.

make sense?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just insert another nic in your Linux box and plug in the 80... client into this nic.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Just Joined!

Why I can't use First Switch:

All nodes on Private LAN side are remotely located. They are all connected to the second Switch by Alvarion.

You can use the first switch but if you multi-home your linux box you won't need it. You can still use it if you like just will not be necessary according to your map.

What you have is two netowrks you have a private one behind your linux box and a public one before it you have 3 private nodes and a public one you are trying to get into the private one. You can either change the IP of the one that is public to a private one or you can simply move the public one before the linux box to public land.
    -- Linus Torvalds