Find the answer to your Linux question:
On my server pc which is behind a separate standalone firewall on another pc, I have running Fedora Core 2 with Firestarter as my firewall. I orginally had Fedora Core ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble with Opening Ports with Firestarter

On my server pc which is behind a separate standalone firewall on another pc, I have running Fedora Core 2 with Firestarter as my firewall.

I orginally had Fedora Core 1 installed and was using Firestarter as my firewall. The 8767 /udp port was opened up as per the instructions and I was able to connect to it just fine on my LAN.

Now that I have installed Fedora Core 2 along with Firestarter, I am no longer able to connect to the server on my LAN. I have the correct port opened up, because people from the Internet are able to connect to it. So I should be able to connect to it via the LAN as well.

Another note, I am able to access the webadmin portion of the server while having that port opened up. So again I should be able to connect to the server itself.

And the strangest thing. I was logged into root trying to figure out my problem. And I connected to the server at this point. I was able to connect with the firewall running. So I logged out of root and logged back into my username. I am now no longer able to connect to it. So am I doing something wrong?

What code does anyone want to see?

thanks for your help.

Just Joined!
    Don't take this as expert advice, but its just a guess. Maybe you have incorrect permissions for your shared directory or whatever it is? That could be the case. Also, is this through Samba? Maybe the samba configuration is bad in this case...

Just Joined!
    nope this isn't through samba.

I did have an issue with permissions at first on my teamspeak directory but I fixed that and gave the proper permissions. I think what I might do is uninstall Teamspeak and then reinstall it. I think that might make a difference.

Never thought of that. Will let you know if this fixes it or not.

UPDATE: I did what was said above about the permissions. Since I didn't know how else to do it without just uninstalling i went ahead and did that. Now it is working. Though I don't know why any permissions had anything to do with it since it allowed people from the Internet to access it and not me from the LAN on another computer?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    very true indeed. Well, I would believe its because simply since for example, while you're a normal user, you can view some files, or write to them, on the / the same would apply to LAN users. Changing the permissions allows that though.

Glad it works for you though.