Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all , can anyone tell me how to determine the client IP and the server IP when i run PPP client on my PC..... does the ifconfig output gives ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ppp Ip

Hi all ,
    can anyone tell me how to determine the client IP and the server IP when i run PPP client on my PC..... does the ifconfig output gives bothe the client and server IP ?? if yes then how to extract the server IP and client IP from that output ??
    thanks

I'm not quite sure but if I remember aright then there is one IP address in your ifconfig that is the IP from your service provider your ppp connects to.

And the other side, the Internet side, you can only determine with a browser test Web page that tells you the IP address you are surfing the Internet with.

Please check this and correct if I'm wrong as I'm not at home at the moment and don't have a ppp connection.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    thanks for reply dilbert,
    i am not able to connect to my ISP right now but when i am through i will confirm that... but what my question is say.... i am connected to a LAN... my IP address is "aaa.bbb.ccc..ddd" but when i connect to an ISP( using ppp client) will my IP address be changed ??? or when i connect to ISP how to find the IP of the server TO WHICH I AM CONNECTED TO ????

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The IP address of the server you are connected via ppp should be visible with "arp -en". ppp0 or something like that should be listed there.

Your own IP address on your computer should be shown with ifconfig under ppp0, e.g.
    What IP address this would be I have actually no clue as ppp could also set a default address or leave it even blank.

Someone with a ppp connection surfing the Internet could easily post this. But I'm on a LAN, now.

My ifconfig says:

ppp0: flags=....
    inet 213.48.xxx.xxx --> 62.31.xxx.xxx netmask 0xffffff00

where inet 213.48.xxx.xxx is the IP address my browser carrries.

62.31.xxx.xxx looks like the provider as

ping 62.31.xxx.xxx

gives

PING 62.31.xxx.xxx (62.31.xxx.xxx): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 62.31.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=0 ttl=30 time=167.334 ms

whereas

ping 127.0.0.1

gives

PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.073 ms

so 62.31.xxx.xxx seems not to be on my box but rather on the side of the provider.

Just Joined!
    thanks for info dilbert,
    that is what i was expecting tooo.....
    but the weired thing happening here is ... ifconfig -a shows the ppp0 link is up and packets goes on increasing with time....but it is not showing any IP address or anything even though the link is up !!!!! and i checked by coming out from the LAN and brought down all the interfaces.. even then it is not showing the ip address. what to do now ??

You said in post #3 that you're not connected to your ISP. Is this still the case?

I never run ppp without connecting to my ISP. Maybe your ppp is sitting there and waiting and sending only control packets to poll the line?

How much packets do you see with ifconfig within a certain time?