Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, all. I posted something a week ago about setting up USB modems, and it worked fine on Mandrake 9.1. But today I upgraded to Mandrake 10, which uses the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    jhk
    Just Joined!

How to set up USB modems on kernal 2.6???

Hello, all. I posted something a week ago about setting up USB modems, and it worked fine on Mandrake 9.1. But today I upgraded to Mandrake 10, which uses the new 2.6 kernel, and I love how fast it is. But it seems they removed the CDCEther module! I've done some google searches on how to set up a modem in kernal 2.6, but couldn't find anything.

I've read something about CDCEther being merged into usbnet, but usbnet by itself certainly doesn't work.

Any ideas? My modem is a Scientiific Atlanta Webstar 2100.

-JHK

jhk
    Just Joined!
    Since I couldn't find anything else on the web, I tried typing in random combinations.

modprobe usbnet eth

works. Duh! Hint to all Linux newbies like me who have this same problem.

-JHK

jhk
    Just Joined!
    And then suddenly Linux refuses to recognize the modem again while I was browsing. Anybody know what happened? modprobe usbnet eth doesn't work now.

-JHK

jhk
    Just Joined!
    I know I'm making myself a pain here... I'm sorry! But I want internet on my Linux box...

I checked dmesg, and it says that there was an error scanning the usb port my modem is on- error 75, or the 'babble' error. I understand that this is caused by an overload of information from the device, but I'm not sure how you fix it... the modem worked without a hitch on Mandrake 9.2.

Any ideas?

-JHK