Find the answer to your Linux question:
hell o,i've really got a big problem with the big mess of windowZ,i can't share my connection with windows dial-up connection,and i've just bought SuSE 9.1 and it really great...but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sharing dial-up connection with windowz

hell o,i've really got a big problem with the big mess of windowZ,i can't share my connection with windows dial-up connection,and i've just bought SuSE 9.1 and it really great...but the thing is i can't share my connection with windows..i wanted to share my connection with other client. how do i get connected with other client, my client using winXP pro and i wanted linux SuSE to be the server. The server can access the windows file system, but XP client could not share the linux connection. How do i share the connection, do i need third party prog? plzzzzzzzzzzzz sumbody help me!!!plzz i really do need help....

Linux Newbie
    lets have your configuration this way:

Linux box:
    IP : 10.2.1.1
    Netmask : 255.255.0.0
    Dialup Connection enabled and connected to NET

Windows box:
    IP : 10.2.1.2
    Netmask : 255.255.0.0
    Gateway : 10.2.1.1 ( IP of Linux box)

-----------------------------------------------

You'll be connected to Internet NOW.

Just Joined!
    hehe thanx 4 the brialliant idea..whut a man..but there is another prob..i'm changing those config turn it into like this

Server:Windowz XP(damn!)
    ip:10.0.1.1

client:Linux SuSE 9.1
    ip:10.0.1.2
    default gateway:10.0.1.1

but when i turn it into another way like

Server:Linux SuSE 9.1
    ip:10.0.1.1

client:windowz XP
    ip:10.0.1.2
    default gateway:10.0.1.1

it can't be connected when i wanted to share files or connected to the internet whereas when i'm using windows as a server it linux client can be connected to windows server...

i'm wonder how to share linux connection because i wanted 2 use linux as a server not the windows anyway. So i really need a help to config the linux server so i can use the windows client to connect to linux box so i can surf the internet using linux as a server..plzz...ANYBODY HELP ME!!!

Just Joined!

you need to enable ip forward

You'll need to enable ipv4 forward kernel parameter to ensure that all ip packets pass from your server's nic to you're dial-up interface (usualy ppp0) and vice-versa.

Just google a while for "ip forward linux" or "linux sharing internet" and you'll get there easy.

In general you'll need also fine ip configurations and routing tables to get all running:

In the linux (server sharing internet)
    ip: aaa.bbb.ccc.d
    mask: 255.255.255.0

In the windows (client from linux server)
    ip: aaa.bbb.ccc.e
    mask: 255.255.255.0
    gw: aaa.bbb.ccc.d - server ip address

Take a look at the dns servers used with your service provider.

Hope it help.

Sory my bad english.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here in Portugal GNU/linux is getting strong and well accepted, but a lot we have to do to take it to the right place.