Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got broadband. I've got a DVD burner on my desktop computer and a CD burner on my laptop. I'd like to transfer files from laptop to desktop. My desktop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Simple network configuration question

I've got broadband. I've got a DVD burner on my desktop computer and a CD burner on my laptop. I'd like to transfer files from laptop to desktop. My desktop only has one network card. Here's what I want to do:

Unplug the cable from the router and into my laptop, change configuration, transfer files.

AND THEN, WHEN DONE, ...

Plug the cable back into the router, change configuration (revert back to what it was before) and continue using the Internet (desktop computer).

I can do this on Windows (I mean, it took me hours to figure it out, but I eventually did). I thought I knew what I was doing here (Linux) and used a GUI wizard to change my network configuration. Result? I no longer have an Internet connection!! Crap!!!

So, simple question, can anybody provide a very simple, easy to follow step-by-step answer to my question? God, would I ever appreciate it! I spent hours on trying to resolve this problem.

By the way, I'm using FC6 (GNOME) on my laptop, Mandriva Free 2007 (KDE) on the desktop.

Many thanks

If you are going from PC to PC you should use a Cross-over cable instead of straight through cable. Then just statically assign ip's to both computers, on the same subnet obvisously, same subnet mask, then you can use anything like scp, or ftp to transfer your files.

Quote Originally Posted by rm_-rf_windows View Post
    I thought I knew what I was doing here (Linux) and used a GUI wizard to change my network configuration. Result? I no longer have an Internet connection!! Crap!!!
    Isn't it enough, if you have DHCP installed, or simply call "dhclient"?

That's what I'm doing on FreeBSD 4.7 from 2002.

If your getting your IP address dynamically from your ISP, you need only to call "dhclient" if DHCP isn't installed already, and that's it.

The only thing I don't know is how to make to forget the former assigned IP address. But a Windows-style restart solves naturally also this problem.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the swift replies.

I know that the material and physical connection is fine because I do exactly the same thing with the same computers, same cables, same router... from Windows to Windows and it works (it took me hours to figure it out, but I did, eventually). And yes, forgottentq, I am using cross-over cables , but don't know why the cross-over cable works for the Internet connection as well... It does!

I get my IP addresses dynamically when using the Internet, statically when connecting the two computers. That's actually what I tried to do using the Mandriva wizard, but it didn't work and messed up my Internet connection.

There must be some commands that I can run to see what's going on and some files I could edit to get things going back to normal. The only questions are "Where?" "Which ones?" "What do they have to include?" etc...

When and if I do figure it out, I'll be sure to post the answer here for you all.

Many thanks for your input.

Some commands are

arp -en
    route -e
    netstats -rn
    ifconfig -a
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.