Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI all: I just setup a proxy server for a mid size office and want to get notified when someone gives a large download through my proxy say to find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Monitor users download access in proxy server

HI all:
    I just setup a proxy server for a mid size office and want to get notified when someone gives a large download through my proxy say to find that users IP. Is there any tool in linux to monitor and track down the user?
    I can see the spike through settting up cacti/mrtg but how to track the user gave a huge download?

Thanks in advance. Waiting for your kind response.

My proxy is squid who creates for every network access request an entry in the log file:
    Code:
    1178962933.791    109 192.168.0.1 TCP_MISS/200 6077 GET http://ftp4.gwdg.de/pub/suse/i386/update/9.3/patches/jasper-53240 - DIRECT/134.76.12.4 text/plain
    You find the IP address followed by the request type followed by the #bytes. Shouldn't be a big deal to write a small perl script which scans the log for the #bytes and sends a eMail with the IP when the #bytes exceeds a threshold value.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds