Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I just installed RedHat 9 (shrike) on my pc and I'm trying to get my Linksys WMP11 wireless card to work. The card is the new version with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless networking in RedHat 9

Hello all,

I just installed RedHat 9 (shrike) on my pc and I'm trying to get my Linksys WMP11 wireless card to work. The card is the new version with the INPROCOMM chipset. I downloaded Linuxant's DriverLoader which claims to be capable of using windows drivers in Linux. BUT, when I try to install the TAR file I'm prompted with the following:

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?

I don't know the location of this directory... any ideas?

here's my uname -a:
    [root@localhost root]# uname -a
    Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.20-8 #1 Thu Mar 13 17:18:24 EST 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Just Joined!
    Great question. I am trying to load Cisco VPN software and get the same question, but can't find the source. Hopefully someone can provide the answer.

Just Joined!
    Yea... I've come across it in many of my searches and never really got a clear answer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

What is your distro?

Kernel source is not normally installed unless you ask for it. There is generally a separate package that has the source to match your kernel. On Redhat, Fedora, Mandrake it will be an rpm. For example in Redhat 9 the kernel source is found in
    • kernel-source-2.4.20-8.i386.rpm

On Debian it will be a .deb package.

Mike

Just Joined!
    yep google for the kernel source that you need for redhat kernel then install it using the rpm peace.

Just Joined!
    based on my uname -a output above, do i need an i386, i686, or athlon version of this rpm??

Just Joined!
    if you have an athlon and used up2date and installed everything then your using teh athlon sources as your kernel mostl likely but do this
    uname -r that will tell you the exact kernel you're using