Find the answer to your Linux question:
Uhu, yet another question about port forwarding. However, I only want to forward internal TCP packages. An example situation of where we want to use this is: server1: ip: 10.0.0.200 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internal port forwarding

Uhu, yet another question about port forwarding.
    However, I only want to forward internal TCP packages.

An example situation of where we want to use this is:

server1:
    ip: 10.0.0.200
    ssh port: 22

server2:
    ip: 10.0.0.220
    ssh port: 10201

server3:
    ip: 10.0.0.230
    ssh port: 10212

Now, when a request is made from server1 to server2, we do not want to specify a port, so just 'ssh user@10.0.0.220' should be sufficient. The same for 'ssh user@10.0.0.230'.

Therefor, TCP traffic to 10.0.0.200 on port 22 should not be directed as that would make the box inaccessable. Only traffic from server1 to other servers - and only when specified.

My iptables is lacking a lot - but the manual pages aren't giving any help either. From how it looks, iptables is not capable of just doing that, is it? If so, what other tools should I be looking for?

Thanks!

There's an easier way to get it done. Create a ~/.ssh/config file and insert statements
    Code:
    host 10.0.0.220
    port 10201
    host 10.0.0.230
    port 10212
    Details see man ssh_config.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by framp View Post
    There's an easier way to get it done. Create a ~/.ssh/config file and insert statements
    Code:
    host 10.0.0.220
    port 10201
    host 10.0.0.230
    port 10212
    Details see man ssh_config.
    Maybe I gave the wrong example by using SSH, it's mainly intended for Exim. Maybe it's possible to accomplish that by configuration as well, but I'm not so sure it can.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close