Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP wotherboard which has an integrated NIC. My installation of RedHat 9.0 does not see the card?? So I would think I need to install the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RH 9.0 and Cannot see NIC?

I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP wotherboard which has an integrated NIC. My installation of RedHat 9.0 does not see the card?? So I would think I need to install the proper drivers or so. I searched google and chcked Gigabyte's site and did not find drivers for the nic. Where can I find these? I am a newbie here just installed Linux a day ago, any help appreciated.

Just Joined!

I think it is the e1000 module

I searched for your motherboard and it appears to use the Intel i875p chipset. That chipset has an Intel PRO/1000 ethernet card built in, which is supported by the e1000 kernel module. You can try it by first seeing if you have the module.
    Code:
     $ locate e1000.o
    It should be in a directory starting with /lib/modules. If you find it, you can while logged into root , try to see if the module is loaded.
    Code:
    $ lsmod
    If you do not see e1000 in the list try to load it.
    Code:
    $ modprobe e1000
    Use dmesg to see if there are any messages saying that it loaded. You can then try redhat-confiig-network and see if the card is visible.

Just Joined!
    when i type modprobe e1000 I get :

/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.o init_module: No such device
    Hint:insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including IO or IRQ parameters
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.o" insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.o : inmod e1000 failed

I read about tainted modules but do not understand too well. i am 1 day new to linux with a windows(ugh, I know) development background.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Any help appreciated -WM

Just Joined!

Have you checked that the NIC is turned on inthe BIOS?Has t

Is this a brand new machine? Has it run windows successfully? Usually with onboard nics they can be turned on and off through the BIOS. Check to see if it is turned off. The error message certainly implies that the module cannot see the card, whcih means that it is turned off or I told you the wrong module.

Am I right that the motherboard has an i875p chipset? Check you motherboard documentation.

Just Joined!

Driver website

This site seems to confirm what I already told you about the e1000. I am running Fedora Core 1 now so I cannot tell if the Redhat 9 driver is up to date.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...8&DwnldID=2897

Just Joined!
    Yes I have the Intel 875P Chipset. I downloaded the driver and when I go to the src directory and try to "build install" like the ReadMe says I get "Makefile:66: *** Linux Kernel not found. Stop" !????

Just Joined!
    It WORKS IT WORKS!! I am up and online with Linux!! i think I love it already!

Just Joined!

What fixed it?

Did the new driver fix it?

Just Joined!
    Hello.

I have the same problem as Deus and fix it using bquark help. Thank you !
    The ethernet card is OK but there is still a performance problem : ftp transfert is very slow.
    My LAN speed is 100Mbytes/s and at best, the transfert rate is no more than 2,5Mbytes/s.
    For the same download, other linux server in the same LAN do at least 7 Mbytes/s and a best 15 Mbytes/s.

I try to change e1000 parameters (with insmod) but nothing better.

Have you a idea about this.

Thank you