Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use NAT for sharing Internet connection among around 20 PCs in my office. We use two permanent internet connections from different ISPs ie. we have a total of two ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NAT - Problem with mutiple public IPs

I use NAT for sharing Internet connection among around 20 PCs in my office. We use two permanent internet connections from different ISPs ie. we have a total of two public IPs from two ISPs. The system works well while using NAT with Masquerading for load balancing in normal case, but in the event of one connection failure some PCs fail to connect to Internet. I think, the problem is Masquerading Load balancing system has no way to detect the failure of any of the public IPs in the pool and it routes the packets to that public IP.

So, Is there any way to configure NAT with Masquerading in such a way that it detects failure of Public IPs and avoid routing packets through that IPs? Please help.

Sorry to use a link but right now it is all I can find. There is a place that shows using multiple ips in a row and I think more information is there but
    http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html
    has some info on what you are doing.

Also, if you have static IPs, instead of Masquerading I think you want to SNAT.
    Masquerading is useful when you are on dial-up or in the case where your IPs are dynamic, if they are static, then SNAT is much better to use.

TTFN

Kumado