Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi there. i am trying to set up my old bbs under linux. i have it setup where it will run if the user telnets in and logs in as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

please help! with incoming telnet, snoopd and auto login!!@!@

hi there.

i am trying to set up my old bbs under linux. i have it setup where it will run if the

user telnets in and logs in as user bbs. however, i want it to automatically run the

bbs when someone telnets, and it tells me (supposedly) how to. in the linux docs for

the bbs it tells me this, as if it were running ttysnoop (not ttysnoops for kernel 2.6)

/etc/inetd.conf
    telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetsnoopd

now please take note that i have not found an in.telnetsnoopd on my system. since you

know ttysnoop you may know something about this. i am not a linux hacker or anything,

but my guess is that the in.telnetd would be repplaced with ttysnoops

my /etc/services
    telnet 23/tcp
    telnet 23/udp

and /etc/snooptab

* socket login /bbs/mystic/runbbs

finally, /bbs/mystic/runbbs

#!/bin/sh
    echo -e "\033(U"
    login bbs TERM=linux

now i am not super smart here but my guess is that the inetd.conf will have it run

in.telnetsnoopd (which is the same as in.telnetd my guess but with snooping

capabilities?) and then in.telnetsnoopd will grab the info from /etc/snooptab and run

/bbs/mystic/runbbs therefore logging in as user bbs and running the bbs, making it able

for me to snoop on the running BBS as someone is logged into the system as bbs running

/bbs/runbbs as the shell?..

for some reason though, when i replaced the in.telnetd with /sbin/ttysnoops i get an

upward few beeps and it says:

cant bind server socket (/var/spool/ttysnoop/1)

i have checked my /var/spool and there is not a ttysnoop directory.

basically, what i am trying to do is have my system automatically log in as user BBS

when someone telnets in and from there run the runbbs.bat executable file, which runs

the bbs.

i have tried configurations in inetd.conf such as

in.telnetd -L /bbs/mystic/mystic

which works great, when someone telnets in it runs /bbs/mystic/mystic and they get the

bbs, but the problem here is that /bbs/mystic is being run as user root and also I am

unable to snoop on what is going on because there is actually no user "logged in" to

the system...

please, any insight would be great.
    if i dont even have to use ttysnoop to be able to have my system login as user bbs and

run user bbs' shell then that would be great, but i would really like to have the

ability to snoop.

thanks,
    chris.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, koojoo!

Please don't post the same topic in duplicate threads because it's against the forum rules to do so:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ums-rules.html

Note that your duplicate threads have been deleted.

Thanks,

oz
    oz