Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Running a dedicated Redhat Linux server at 1and1.com Local: Running behind a Linksys router. I notice if I add my IP address to the etc/host file, I no longer have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

etc/hosts question

Running a dedicated Redhat Linux server at 1and1.com

Local: Running behind a Linksys router.

I notice if I add my IP address to the etc/host file, I no longer have connection issues when it used to take me like 30 seconds to LOGIN and also to LIST a directory. Once I added my IP address to this file, it was fine. I have a few quesiotns:

--How will I know what IPs my clients are running so I can add them to the etc/hosts file.

--Is there a way to allow ALL ips access?

Linux Newbie
    I never used a 1and1 box, however I put alot of research into it before I found that they were horrible...so I may not be 100% accurate on these answeres:

You, as the server admin, should be able to assign the IP (probobly shared IP) to the clients in the admin panel of your server, and Plesk control panel (I do have Plesk 7 so I know that real good).

What do you mean by:
    --Is there a way to allow ALL ips access?
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!
    I am finding 1and1.com to be just "OK"

But I do have full root access to my box so I don't think its a matter of the provider. (MHO)

Yes, I have one dedicated IP address, but do see a spot for IP aliasing in Plesk 7. What's that? Also right there, I see I can add other IPs. I am not sure, but I think there are charges for adding IPS

I never used a 1and1 box, however I put alot of research into it before I found that they were horrible...so I may not be 100% accurate on these answeres:

You, as the server admin, should be able to assign the IP (probobly shared IP) to the clients in the admin panel of your server, and Plesk control panel (I do have Plesk 7 so I know that real good).
    WHat I meant by --Is there a way to allow ALL ips access?, was I added my IP address to the etc/host file and it allowed me to FTP right in with no hangups. My question was that since I don't know when my (local) IP address or clients IP addresses will change, how can I allow FTP access to ALL IPS so I don't have to keep re-editing the etc/host file?

Linux Newbie
    Your clients IP should very very rarely change as it is a dedicated IP address.

I still do not understand fully with the all IPs access, and if I'm thinking in the same direction as you, I have no idea how to do that, or if it is possible. Perhaps someone else can help you with that one...

Just Joined!
    LOL. What I meant was I had to add my LOCAL Ip address tothe etc/host file.

Here is the host file:

Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    217.160.XXX.XXX u15154894.onlinehome-server.com u15154894
    217.160.XXX.XXX default-domain.com
    (I have XXX'ed out the origs)

See the bottom IP, this is my LOCAL one. If I remove this IP, It takes like 30-45 seconds to connect AND to LIST dirs with my FTP client.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue|Fusion
    Your clients IP should very very rarely change as it is a dedicated IP address.

I still do not understand fully with the all IPs access, and if I'm thinking in the same direction as you, I have no idea how to do that, or if it is possible. Perhaps someone else can help you with that one...

Just Joined!
    Your FTP service is probably trying to do reverse dns on the clients that connect to it.

So when you put your ip in /etc/hosts, it doesn't have to look far...

You should configure it (the FTP service) to not reverse dns the clients ips. While you're at it, check that it doesn't do ident lookups either.

Just Joined!
    And how does one do this?

You should configure it (the FTP service) to not reverse dns the clients ips. While you're at it, check that it doesn't do ident lookups either.

Linux Newbie
    What FTP server do you have?

Just Joined!
    OH sorry ProFTPD 1.9

Quote Originally Posted by Blue|Fusion
    What FTP server do you have?

Just Joined!
    Make sure you have the line

Code:
    IdentLookups off
    int your proftpd.conf (usually in /etc)