Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I'm currently working on a project to securely centralize a large amount of log files over a large Network. Together there are just about 500 logs, and crons that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Centralized logfiles

Hey,

I'm currently working on a project to securely centralize a large amount of log files over a large Network. Together there are just about 500 logs, and crons that need to be consolidated. It has been suggested that I use syslog-ng along with stunnel. However I'm trying to see if there is something that may suit my needs better.

Needs
    ---------
    Must work with Debian and AIX unix.
    Must use encryption.
    Must be able to make remote connection to each server.
    Must give me the ability to manipulate and collaborate logs... for example we use load balancing on our network, so we have a number of servers that preform the same task I would like to have the ability to merge these logs.

You should be able to do this with syslogd - from what I can gather syslog-ng seems to provide better searching and indexing facilities (which may be what you need, and it may be worth paying for). If you have a budget for this, you may want to look at paying for syslog-ng, or you could investigate off the shelf scripts (or even create your own) for sorting and reporting from syslogd.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hi, I am the maintainer of rsyslog. I think it fits all of your requirements, I am just not sure about AIX. If you would give rsyslog a try, I promise to be quite responsive to any issue you have.

Thanks,
    Rainer

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close