Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a winmodem and have installed the necessary drivers such that Linux now recognizes my modem. When I try to connect with my ISP using kppp, it says the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

signing on to ISP using KPPP

I have a winmodem and have installed the necessary drivers such that Linux now recognizes my modem. When I try to connect with my ISP using kppp, it says the modem is ready and then it follows by saying that it is not responding. What could be going wrong here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

try setting it to another device other then /dev/modem
    just test all the other devices and try to query the modem. if it comes back positive try that.
    i have a problem with my modem as well, and no one can help lol
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

Linux Engineer
    i reccomend you use wvdial (command line dialer) it is very simple to use and _very_ easy to configure. To detect the modem and set up a basic config file do this:

"wvdialconf wvdial.conf"

it will detect the modem and write a basic /etc/wvdial.conf file. edit this file and add the phone number you wish to dial along with your username and password.
    you may allso have to edit either /etc/ppp/chap-secrets or /etc/ppp/pap-secrets before they ISP will allow you to connect.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i have a good question..
    how can you tell if you have pap or chap, or anything of that nature?
    my ISP is just a standard dialup, like earthlink, aol, etc etc, but its a local isp. if its one of the two it would be chap, however the chap setting doesnt work. i tried terminal based (i dont know what it is) and it doesnt work. the only thing else i can think of is to make my own login script, but i have NO idea what to tell my computer to expect when it attempts to dial out.
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

Linux Engineer
    Allmost all ISP's use PAP (password authentication protocall) but some use CHAP (challenge handshake authentication protocol, allmost none use this even though it is slightly more secure) if it does not work with CHAP remove the information from chap secrets (dont actualy deleet the file though) and put it into /etc/ppp/pap-secrets instead in this format:

# client server secret IP addresses
    username * password

you can leave the ip adress blank, the * tells it to send that secret (username and pass) every time you diallup (no matter which phone number/ISP you dial)