Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'd liek toe konw if its popssible to get any information regarding the current location from a GPS enabled cellphone? for instance .. I am using AudioVox8500.. but id ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GPS information off cellphone?

Hello,
    I'd liek toe konw if its popssible to get any information regarding the current location from a GPS enabled cellphone? for instance .. I am using AudioVox8500.. but id like to know if its possible with any other phone as well? if so where do i start? what sort of connection is made between the phoen and my linux.. ?
    Thx,
    Rohan

Linux Guru
    I seriously doubt that it does, but if your phone sends information back your computer using the standard GPS protocol (NMEA) then parsing the data is a piece of cake. There's literally tons of info on NMEA on the net. I've writen routines in both Perl and Java to parse the data, I'd be happy to provide them.

The first step is to find out what protocol your GPS phone uses, and how it communicates with the computer, and if it does at all, what data it sends. My GPS uses the seriel port.

Good Luck. Let us know if you get it going.
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    thx jeremy..
    the problem is have is "to find out what protocol your GPS phone uses, and how it communicates with the computer, and if it does at all, what data it sends". Thats what i would liek to know who to do.. do u konw of any ways to interecelpt any data being written to my usb port? I have my phone hooked up to usb port and i I used to use my cellphone as a modem on file /dev/ttyUSB0
    Is there some way to ifnd out that information.. ?
    Thanks
    Rohan

Edit:
    I would really apprcita if u provide me with ur code.. so i can try to udnerstand it.. when it comes to this stiuff.. i m compeletely newb

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    http://www.linux-usb.org/USBMon/

Is what you can use to 'sniff' the USB port.
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude