Find the answer to your Linux question:
at current, I have a laptop running windows 95, which has a novell client installed on it for accessing my college's network to get my files and have internet access ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

netware client for linux

at current, I have a laptop running windows 95, which has a novell client installed on it for accessing my college's network to get my files and have internet access etc...

as i'm sure most people know, win95 is probably one of the worst operating systems for any kind of security at all, so i want to go for a small linux distro (the hard drive is 800mb, its a 100mhz proccessor and has 40mb ram) but i need to be able to have a novell client on it so i can log in and access my files on the server and access the net.

so my questions are this, what would be a sutible distro to use? and also: is there a novell client for linux?

any help would be apprieciated.

Linux Guru
    Hiya Dreamer,

There is a command line Novell Client for Linux from Caldera available in RPM format, which should work on most distros, including Redhat and Caldera. Slackware also has support for RPM's, though not officially supported

A good guide is here: http://www.caldera.com/support/docs/...ent/index.html

The only thing I could personaly say is that RH8 would become a bit of a squeeze with X installed on an 800MB drive.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Cheers fella.
    I was thinking probably one of the earlier versions of slakware.

Being a bit of a newbie, I need to ask a newbie type question...
    whith windows, when i install a bit of new hardware, windows will start up fine and ask to install drivers for my new hardware from a cd or whatever. but will linux do the same?

my reason for asking is that i have no cd drive for my laptop, so to install an OS i have to put the hard drive into my workstation with a 2.5 laptop to 3.5 ide hard drive adapter. but when i put the laptop back in the laptop, will i get lots of errors from linux? with windows i just had to install the new drivers etc. but i'm not to sure about that for linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If you are going to switch between machines, it should be Ok if you use the i386 kernel (barei) from the installation CD. You may need to reconfigure is X, this can be done by typing XF86Config at the command line because you will need to configure it for the laptop video adapter and screen.

When you install and reach the lilo configuration, select the screen resolution that you laptop works at. (check your display properties in Win95 to check before formatting.)

Dave.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    1. Novell has no client for linux of any variation.

2. You can also look here http://www.winehq.com/ for Wine is an implementation of the Windows Win32 and Win16 APIs on top of X and Unix.

I have not tested Wine with Linux networked with Netare yet, my test machine at work died before I got to it. I don't test on my linux servers (I try not to ) So I have to wait till my next out of service (obsolete) machine arives to try it.

Has anyone tried wine? If so what do you think as far as ease of installation and how stable is it?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"