Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have several computers attached to a single router that is then attached to the internet. Some of the computers are mac some pc some connected though wires some through ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    rgo
    Just Joined!

Tracking Internet activity on network

I have several computers attached to a single router that is then attached to the internet. Some of the computers are mac some pc some connected though wires some through wireless connections. I would like to be able to keep track of where the users are going on the internet. Can I set up a linux based router using a spare computer such that it will keep track of web pages/url visited including the day and time accessed. The set up would look something like this

internet->linux router->normal wired/wireless router->all users

I know I would need two network cards for my linux box. I have seen programs like squidGuard that will filter content from the internet but I am more intrested in knowing what urls are being accessed. Any help or pointers would be appretiated. I am not very comfortable with linux so don't try to be simple in any explanation. Thanks

You can use Web Monitor a free program I used a few years ago. Not sure if it is still available today or not. I know you can use ipcop to setup a firewall on a linux box and you can see all of the incoming and outgoing connections through there maybe?
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

If you want to track http connections just set up a transparent proxy.

1) Install squid/dante as the proxy
    2) Set up iptable rules to force all clients to use your proxy
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds