Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to connect my new install Debian box to my WIN2K box which has dialup. Some sort of internet connection sharing. Can anyone redirect me to a good noobie ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Debian to WIN2K to dialup. Guide?

I want to connect my new install Debian box to my WIN2K box which has dialup. Some sort of internet connection sharing. Can anyone redirect me to a good noobie guide to help me set up.

Im sure you don't want to cover info that is already out there. Thanks.
    Ack!

Linux Guru
    It's quite simple really. You need to set up NAT on the Win2K machine. Can't help you with that part, though, since I don't use Windows.
    After you've done that, though, you just need to set the default gateway on the Linux system to the IP address of the Win2K box, and it should be alright.

Linux Newbie

gateway

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    It's quite simple really. You need to set up NAT on the Win2K machine. Can't help you with that part, though, since I don't use Windows.
    After you've done that, though, you just need to set the default gateway on the Linux system to the IP address of the Win2K box, and it should be alright.
    What do I do to set up the defalt gateway?

What is a NAT?
    Ack!

Linux Guru
    NAT is Network Address Translation - it basically means that all packets coming from the Linux box will be "masqueraded" by the Win2K box to seem like it's coming from it. It's really a hack, but it allows you to have several computers on one public IP address.

How to set up the default gateway depends on the distro, and I'm afraid I don't know how to set it on Debian (considering I've never used Debian). Probably someone else can help with that.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    NAT is Network Address Translation - it basically means that all packets coming from the Linux box will be "masqueraded" by the Win2K box to seem like it's coming from it. It's really a hack, but it allows you to have several computers on one public IP address.

How to set up the default gateway depends on the distro, and I'm afraid I don't know how to set it on Debian (considering I've never used Debian). Probably someone else can help with that.
    How about an example of what you would do to set up the default gateway on something you have done.
    Ack!