Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I am having a little trouble, and was wondering if u might could help. I am running Fedora Core 1 with a 2.4 kernel on a IBM Thinkpad ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    JFM
    Just Joined!

Aironet 340 PCMCIA problems with Fedora Core

Hello All,

I am having a little trouble, and was wondering if u might could help. I am running Fedora Core 1 with a 2.4 kernel on a IBM Thinkpad T21. I am trying to get a Cisco Aironet 340 series PCMCIA wifi card to work properly. The card was detected, it comes up and seems to run properly. The only thing is that it will not associate with my WAP . When I do a iwconfig next to Access Point it shows FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. It won't ping any of the other nodes on the network, and wont get internet access. I am pretty new to linux, and out of ideas . Could anyone give me some suggestions? Thnx!
    John

Linux Guru
    Are you using WEP or something on this WLAN?

JFM
    Just Joined!
    No, I haven't turned that on yet. I am not doing anything special yet because I haven't got everything working proprerly yet. Any suggestions? THNX!

John

Linux Guru
    I'll have to admit in advance that I'm not that very used to wireless technology. I do have a laptop with a 802.11b card, but it worked from the beginning, so I haven't had to worry that much about it.

That doesn't mean I'm clueless, though. You may have to attach it the network's SID. I don't remember that exact command for iwconfig and I don't have the laptop available to check, but see the manpage for iwconfig and it should tell you what command to use to set the SID. Of course, you'll need to know what SID you've set the WAP up to use.

JFM
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help! Forcing it to go to my WAP's MAC address did the trick. Such a simple answer for a problem I thought was very complicated. I appriciate ur help. LTR. :P

Linux Guru
    It still is a bit strange though - you don't usually have to do something like this. Maybe it's your card's firmware that doesn't automatically bind to a WAP or something... I dunno, really... :-/