Find the answer to your Linux question:
As the title said, it's possible to share files between two Linux PC's using a Ethernet cable ? i mean directly connect them to each other , and how ? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Share files between two Linux PC's

As the title said, it's possible to share files between two Linux PC's using a Ethernet cable ? i mean directly connect them to each other , and how ?

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I think you can connect your systems using crossover cable, but I am not sure exactly how you would configure the systems to see each other.

Use crossover network cable rather than normal ethernet. This is necessary when you don't use a hub or switch.

After that if you are using NetworkManager it will auto configure, otherwise the usual principles apply - use the same subnet and subnet mask.

Then you have your choice of protocols: NFS, Samba or SSH. I like to use ssh because it is encrypted but you may find it slightly slower.

Thanks for all the replies, yes my problem is related to the crossover cable, i was trying to do this via ssh but i didn't know that the cable i'm using is the wrong one, since i bought this from a shop and i ask the windows guy, in the computers region, about type of the cable and he told me yes !

anyway a got a crossover cable and everything seems to be fine.

Best Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.