Find the answer to your Linux question:
So recently I just got wireless working. But now when I try to connect by ethernet wire, it doesn't get any DHCP offers or whatever and it doesn't connect to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

eth0 no longer working

So recently I just got wireless working. But now when I try to connect by ethernet wire, it doesn't get any DHCP offers or whatever and it doesn't connect to anything. I do ifconfig ath0 down and ifconfig eth0 up and dhclient eth0 but it doesn't find anything. Maybe I have to do something in the kernel? It was working fine last week when wireless was not working at all.

Have you checked the status of your dhcp server? (service dhcpd status). It might be turned off and if it isnt the tail your /var/log/messages to see what is going on with the process. Later
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Just Joined!
    My dhcp server is fine and /var/log/messages is just the same stuff I see on my screen when I do dhclient eth0. I just use /etc/init.d/net.lo and symlink it to net.ath0 and net.eth0 whatever the default is I never changed anything before. I think it might be something related to something I might have changed in my kernel or something in my wifi that's overriding my ethernet cord and thinking net.eth0 is wireless.

Just Joined!
    I see wifi0 starting so I think wireless is overriding the ethernet cord line and it keeps redirecting to wireless now. How do I make it stop and see that I have the cord plugged in?

On my Gentoo LiveCD, the LiveCD doesn't even connect to the internet anymore. Maybe it's my internet? I just got new cable internet and I never used it before.

Just Joined!
    Well on Ubuntu I plugged it in and it worked perfectly. How can I get this working on Gentoo?

So now I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my wireless ath0 overriding eth0 and making it think eth0 is wireless. How do I make my computer know that there is a ethernet cord attached?

Just Joined!
    dmesg | grep "eth"

it gives me some lines that look good, like it sees my network card RealTek and it says eth0 link is up and it becomes read, but then it gives me this that don't look so good:

eth0: no IPv6 routers present

That's the only bad line it looks like.

Just Joined!
    I booted up the Gentoo LiveCD and now the LiveCD won't connect anymore.

Just Joined!
    When I do "dhclient eth0" it says wifi0

Im sorry I havent got back to you in a while. I have been very busy and have not had applicable time to look at the posts. Let me know what stage you are currently at and I'll help you go through it
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6