Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just estabilished Samba 3.0.4 PDC. Windows 98 users can access shares, but winnt adn winxp can't. As read in manual I added machine accounts but it didn't help. In ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba machine account creation problems

I've just estabilished Samba 3.0.4 PDC. Windows 98 users can access shares, but winnt adn winxp can't. As read in manual I added machine accounts but it didn't help. In logs I read "no machine1$ account in domain" but pdbedit shows that machine1$ account is created. Why users aren't added to the domain ?

Just Joined!

Nedd to add workstations to domain

Hi,

you will need:

1 - enable users to access to samba, they could be the same unix users or others, or mapped users, see smbpasswd.

2 - users accounts for workstations.

3 - add workstation to the doamain like you do in any other microsoft native ambient.

man smb, man useradd, man smbpasswd and google.

I know that you'll need to change some registry strings to add windows xp or windows 2000 workstations to samba domains. Google helps you, and your /var/log/messages to.

Just Joined!
    As I said I created all accounts needed. There are only errors in domain logons. All machine accounts created like smbpasswd -a -m machine1. Win9x users logon to domain correctly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Waht kind of fail...

So win98 workstations login right, but Win2k/WinXP doesnt, right!?

You can add those winXP to the domain with no problems?

But when you go to logon it doesnt work is that?

I can tell you that with my winXP professional workstations I had to change some registry strings related almost with WINS service. Try to google a while for "samba Windows XP workstations".

Latter I can post here wat strings, and wat changes you have to do, also some options in my samba configurations.

Post some errors, let us see something about your errors, do:
    tail -f /var/log/messages and then try to logon and look at the new log lines.