Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here is the situation. I have absolutley no experience with a modem. Especially in linux. I have always been behind a network. I am setting up my buddies computer and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo: Getting a modem to work.

Here is the situation. I have absolutley no experience with a modem. Especially in linux. I have always been behind a network. I am setting up my buddies computer and I am running into some problems.

First:

There is no /dev/modem. Which is the default place kppp looks for the modem. I configured kppp to use /dev/tty/1-4, each one said couldn't contact modem. Although on tty/3 it gave a different message, but it still wouldn't work. I want to assume that it must have reached the modem but I am missing a driver.

Second:

I downloaded the drivers for US robitics 5610 fax modem, but it's an RPM. I don't have a database for dependencies so it won't install. I tried everything I know to try to get it to install, since I am assuming that the driver is a module and I would just slip it into my modules, and load it on startup. Heh. I looked every in the kernel and couldn't find a modem section, so I am at a loss.

Third:

Even when I do get this modem installed and dialing, I have no idea how to set this up. I am assuming that I will just take /etc/init.d/net.eth0 off of default runlevel, and kppp will handle the rest. If not, could you give me a heads up?

Thanks
    --Kylixen

Linux Guru
    The most important thing you need to know is whether the modem is a real modem or one of those lousy (excuse me...) WinModems.
    Is it a PCI card? In that case, can you post the output of the following command?
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci

Just Joined!
    nm. I got it. Thanks though.

The problem was, originally, that gentoo didn't make a symbolic link to the modem. So I spazzed not knowing what to do, since I hadn't had any experience with modems before. Eventually I found it on /dev/ttys/4.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    all you have to do to set up a serial modem in gentoo (providing its not a "winmodem" in which case you need drivers first.) is, after ensureing that the required ppp kerenl modules are loaded:

emerge -av wvdial

when wvdial is installed you configure it and the modem with the following command:

"wvdialconf wvdial.conf"

this detects the modem and writes a basic /etc/wvdial.conf all you need to do is insert the correct phone number, username and password (you allso need to do this in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets. More likly pap than chap.) There should be no need to mess with symlinks or anything. To start the connection just type:

"wvdial"

Those steps are the same for winmodems (pci "modems") but the driver support must first be installed.
    One thing that I have found with linux is that it is very rare that you have to download any sort of driver for most devices. (except graphics cards and some other more uncommon hardware) For the most part support is included in the kernel.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    all you have to do to set up a serial modem in gentoo (providing its not a "winmodem" in which case you need drivers first.) is, after ensureing that the required ppp kerenl modules are loaded:

emerge -av wvdial

when wvdial is installed you configure it and the modem with the following command:

"wvdialconf wvdial.conf"

this detects the modem and writes a basic /etc/wvdial.conf all you need to do is insert the correct phone number, username and password (you allso need to do this in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets. More likly pap than chap.) There should be no need to mess with symlinks or anything. To start the connection just type:

"wvdial"

Those steps are the same for winmodems (pci "modems") but the driver support must first be installed.
    One thing that I have found with linux is that it is very rare that you have to download any sort of driver for most devices. (except graphics cards and some other more uncommon hardware) For the most part support is included in the kernel.
    That is great and all, even though it's more like a tutorial on wvdial. I used kppp and I didn't have an ppp modules loaded. Didn't have any built in either. Gentoo just didn't create a symlink to /dev/modem

Linux Engineer
    you will find that /dev/modem is the symlink to the serial device. if you dont load the ppp modules (or have them built into the kernel) then your ppp connection willnot succeed

Just Joined!
    That's what I was saying. The symlink wasn't made. Also, the only place PPP was mentioned, it wasn't turned on in the kernel. Modem works fine. I must be missing the specific modules you are talking about.