Configuration of PPPoA on RedHat 9
I want to put a RedHat 9 box on the Internet using DSL. I've got a D-Link 300G DSL modem (it has an ethernet interface) and an PPPoA (not a typo PPP over ATM) connection from BT Internet (in the UK) with static IP.
I've set the box up to use PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) in South Africa using Roaring Pengiun's PPPoE client. It worked 100% here. I then shipped the box to the UK and the client tried to connect to no avail.
Can anyone give me pointers of how to get PPPoA working on an ethernet DSL modem. The modem does support PPPoA and it works from Win98 & WinXP.
BTW I did a Google for PPPoA on Linux but couldn't find anything simple - I cannot have the client try his hand at doing Kernel patches etc. He knows just enough not to make the machine fall over.
One last thing. I need the DSL connection to be able to connect to that box using SSH and HTTP. We can probably get it working with a DSL router but we want to have the solution as an easy way to do remote maintenance. We basically want to have a client plug in a DSL modem (we will specify D-Link 300G) into the ethernet port on the machine and a techie in my office in South Africa can access it fix it up and send the guy on the other side an IM to tell him that he can disconnect the DSL. All these machines will be put on a closed network with DSL points at some places for remote config. We originally tried the way of training some guy who knows something about the system and then have a Yahoo IM session telling him what to do when he gets stuck. I don't want to go that route again having a guy in the US keep me up for four days because he doesn't know what he's doing when it will take me 30 minutes or an hour to get the same thing done.