ethernet card failed to initialize at boot
During booting, I see this message:
"Bringing up eth0: Failed".
Every time I am forced to start a new conection using Mandrake (10.1 comm) Control Center.
I have installed the driver, rhinefet.ko (and rhinefet.o just in case) for this ethernet card (VT6105 Rhine III 10/100). I followed the instructions as follows:
1) save the rhinefet.tgz to a directory (/tmp)
2) then, cd /tmp , then tar xvzf rhinefet.tgz ; a bunch o files are created.
3)Then I type : make install ; some files are created, including rhinefet.ko and rhinefet.o
4) I check that these two files are added to :/lib/modules/22.214.171.124-10mdk/kernel/drivers/net
5) I check that the line "alias eth0 rhinefet" exists in /etc/modules.conf
6) I check that the line "alias eth0 rhinefet" exists in /etc/aliases
7) From the /tmp directory, I issue the command # insmod rhinefet.ko ; I dont get any message. (Is that o.k ?)
8) If I do # modprobe rhinefet ; no message is displayed (is that o.k. ?)
9) I rebbot with the command reboot.....
....and here I am with this problem, the card cannot be initialized at boot. What is wrong?
After boot and login in, I do #ifconfig eth0
I get the message:
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
Please help me to troubleshoot the problem. Thanks
EDIT: By the way, yes, with Mandrake Control Center I can make a new ADSL connection through this card. Strange, isn't it?
PCI ethernet card VT6105 Rhine III 10/100
It is a PCI ethernet card that I installed just last week. My question is: Do I have to set something in the BIOS even if its a PCI card?