Home network stopped working
This is a direct result of this thread, but I thought it made sense to start a new thread as this is weird enough to deserve a topic all of its own.
My network looks like this,
Internet <-> DSL box <-> (eth0 via dsl0) SuSE Desktop (eth1) <-> Router <-> Laptop
As shown in the thread I linked to above, the trouble all started when I entered the command,
As soon as I did this my internal network stopped working. After several frustrating hours of investigation I have discovered,
ethtool -s eth1 autoneg off
- The main internet connection on my desktop (eth0 via dsl0) is fine. I'm using it to post this.
- The router which connects my desktop to my laptop is fine. I have checked its configuration via the laptop.
- I can ping eth1 from the desktop with sub-microsecond response time.
- I can not ping the router from the desktop, however, as noted above, I can connect to the router from the laptop.
- The lights at the back of the computer are on for eth0 but not for eth1. This worries me a lot and makes me think that the card is no longer working (although the fact that I can still ping it from the desktop is reassuring).
I have tried deleting the configuration for eth1 and reconfiguring it via yast, but that didn't help, and I've tried "ethtool -s eth1 autoneg on" to reverse whatever problem was caused by the initial command with no success.
I get the following output to ethtool,
Note the speed setting of 10Mb/s and the duplex setting of "half" -- I am totally unable to change these to 100 and "full". "Link detected: no" kinda worries me as well.
Settings for eth1:
Supported ports: [ MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Supports Wake-on: g
Link detected: no
Sorry for the extremely long post, but I am quite worried that I have damaged my network card, and I wanted to give as much detail as possible.
Can anyone help me get my network working again?