Router issue (Belkin non wireless) on Lispire 5.0
I have a DSL modem connected to a Belkin 4 port cable/DSL Router (Model F5D5231-4) and two computers connected to the router, one running on Windows XP Home and my Linspire 5.0 box. The Windows computer installed the router software and connected immediately, but my Linspire box will not connect through the router, even though this computer connects to the web flawlessly when I just plug it to the DSL modem directly I've tried the following:
1) Restarted Linspire 5.0 (This system seems to detect ans install everything on restart, so it seemed like a good option)
2) Restarted the router
3) Typed 192.168.1.254 on the address bar (That's the Modem IP Address)
I contacted Belkin's tech support and this is the answer I got:
We understand that you are unable to connect to the Internet, from your Linux computer. On the computer, check if you have an IP address in the range of 192.168.2.x. If not assign a static IP address in the range of the router, that is 192.168.2.x (x=2to200).
4) Went to Settings > Control center > Network > Network settings and Profiles (Logged in as Root). I checked and it shows "Configuration Mode DHCP".
5) Went into my Router (through the Windows XP computer) and checked the "Connection Configuration: PPPoE.
It also shows the following:
Modem IP address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Start Address: 192.168.1.1
DHCP End Address: 192.168.1.253
Static IP Address: 0.0.0.0
WAN IP Address: 220.127.116.11
6) I opened a terminal and typed "ifconfig". This is what it tells me: (not that I know what any of it means...)
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:88:3B:2D:07
inet addr:192.168.1.254 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:150 error:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:150 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:41868 (40.8 KiB)
Interrupt:12 Base Address:0x6000
6) I changed the interface from the default "eth0 [D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev-10)]" to "eth1 [VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II](rev-78)]". It didn't work neither, so I changed back to the default.
None of the above made any difference. The Linspire 5.0 computer does not seem to recognize a web connection through the Belkin router.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!