Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to get Skype functioning right but I guess my mic isn't installed....how do I set it up? It's just a really simple mic (ordered a video cam ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to setup a mic in Ubuntu?

I am trying to get Skype functioning right but I guess my mic isn't installed....how do I set it up? It's just a really simple mic (ordered a video cam but hasn't arrived yet). I thought it would be just boot up and it would work but I guess it's one of the areas that Linux hasn't made easier yet. Thanks all

jmadero

Linux User
    1) Make sure the microphone is plugged into the correct socket

2)Load up the recording level monitor Applications>Sound and Video>Recording Level Monitor and speak into your microphone. If nothing appears on the scale you need to turn on and adjust the volume - right-click on the volume icon in the notification area and select Open Volume Control. Inside the dialogue that pops up make sure the microphone sliders are near the top and that the small microphone icon does not have a red cross on it (Red cross=muted)

Speak into your microphone and you should see the relording level monitor flash.

Recording Level Monitor

I don't have a recording level monitor? I checked to make sure that it's in the right plug and it is, also checked volume setup and looks okay. Still doesn't work in skype