Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I guess you have us all stumped SlackerWannabe I havent run Slackware lately. I hope you find your solution soon, and be sure to post it in this thread when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I guess you have us all stumped SlackerWannabe

I havent run Slackware lately. I hope you find your solution soon, and be sure to post it in this thread when you figure it out. You've got me curious how Slack does things differently than RH.

-Kauai

I just read this thread, so if this was already covered, my apologies, but when you select to boot KDE from the session manager, does that work? and if you are setting the default to KDe, couldn't you just select default as opposed to last..
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Damn! For a second I thought you might have just given me a workaround!

Unfortunately I tried it but it doesn't seem to like the default session choice. And every time I log out, last is still selected by default

As for KDE, yeah i can get into KDE no problem if i manually select it, but thats not what I want to do I want to figure out why the last session in gnome session manager is always gnome desktop environment no matter what desktop was actually loaded last.

If anyone has any more ideas PLEASE let me know. (Starting to really bug me now! )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    wow, this is the most convoluted and screwy linux problem i have encountered to date...gl and props to the finder o the solution

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux User
    Lets see if I understand you correctly:

You want to login graphically using gdm then exit Gnome to load your Window manager?

Maybe using xdm would be a better choice then.
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    I want to use Gnome's session manager. Meaning Gnome's graphical login screen, which is DIFFERENT from the Gnome Desktop Environment (where you actually use the computer).

So I want to use GDM to load XFCE4's destop environment. And XDM doesn't even work on my system for some reason. (I tried logging in and couldnt even get into the system....forced me to go into single user console mode and change the configuration back).

And not that I dont appreciate the suggestions, but I really do want to figure out why this isn't working the way its supposed to.

(lol....and yeah qub333....weirdest.problem.ever.)

Do you have anything critical on your linux partition? you might want to look at just running the install again, i know its probably overkill (like buring down a house to get one flea) but if your like me and have a backup of everything that is worthwhile (i run too many experiments on my linux box) and change distros alot then this is no big...look into it, should reset all your defaults enought that they will run

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    lol...yeah its just slight overkill...just a lil bit

Yeah I could backup everything I have, but I'd rather not....besides...it'll be a great learning experience for all once we figure it out

Sorry, when i said run teh install, i didint mean actual rewrite everything, just run it as an update, and some distros will reset many defaults on teh boot, slackware, im not too sure, i only ran it for a month or so.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    hmm..well ive never done that kind of thing before (only been running linux for about 3 - 4 weeks)...but id still like to figure this out without having to resort to that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast