Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Im not sure what happened, but just a little while ago, every time I login, Slackware loads up gnome, and not kde, even though i have 'last' selected in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome loads up instead of KDE

Im not sure what happened, but just a little while ago, every time I login, Slackware loads up gnome, and not kde, even though i have 'last' selected in the sessions....odd thing is, i never use gnome...

It was loading up KDE just fine with 'last' selected before, it just suddenly started loading up gnome again.

Im pretty sure there was some easy way to fix this, but i completely forget now....help a slacker out plz

(Slackware 10 btw)

Linux Newbie
    Try using the command switchdesk.

Just Joined!
    Ive tried that already, but the command doesnt exist apparently...

Any other ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I don't run slackware, but try logging in as root (don't su) and then running switchdesk
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Just Joined!
    Nope....still says command doesnt exist.

Its kind of weird, because my root account will use kde, but my user account just suddenly started using gnome...anybody know which configuration file to edit maybe?

ok hit F2 and you will be in a term window and now log in as root and type in pkgtool after that go down to set up and then go all the way down to something about choosing default desktop manager. and this time pick kde. but this wont work unless you are actually logged in as root and not su for some odd reason. i have tryed it both ways it it only worked for me when i would actually log in as root good luck there is another way to do this by adding it to a file called .xinitrc in your home directory i cant remember what you would put in there to get it to load kde but i know that for other ones its exec fluxbox. and gnome is gnome-session. but first try the pkgtool thing
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Ive actually just noticed (while experimenting with other desktop managers) that no matter what I do, gnome always starts up. I tried out XFCE4, which I love, and after logging out and logging back in, it went into gnome....regardless of the fact that xfce was the LAST dm I was in...Somehow I think its more than just a problem with xinitrc, although I do have it set to gnome-session.

Ill see if changing it to kde's window manager changes anything...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackerWannabe
    Ive actually just noticed (while experimenting with other desktop managers) that no matter what I do, gnome always starts up. I tried out XFCE4, which I love, and after logging out and logging back in, it went into gnome....regardless of the fact that xfce was the LAST dm I was in...Somehow I think its more than just a problem with xinitrc, although I do have it set to gnome-session.

Ill see if changing it to kde's window manager changes anything...
    Look at your /etc/sysconfig/desktop file

Mine looks like this:

#DESKTOP="GNOME"
    DESKTOP="KDE"
    DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

Notice I added the last 2 and commented out the first line. This will give you KDE login manager (which you may or may not want) and KDE as the DEFAULT window manager, if thats also what you want.

Hope that helps,
    Kauai

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackerWannabe
    Somehow I think its more than just a problem with xinitrc, although I do have it set to gnome-session.
    ~/.xinitrc *is* the file you edit to change your WM. So if it says "gnome-session" that will run Gnome when you "startx". Comment that line out and replace it with whatever WM you want.
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    Well first off, I dont have a sysconfig folder in /etc/, so therefore no desktop file to edit...(should I create one?)

2nd, ive just confirmed now that my xinitrc file is ignored. No matter what I have set in there, startkde, xfce-session, and so on, it always loads up gnome.

Any ideas now?

Maybe I should mention that this is X.org and not Xfree86, just in case there are major differences in this department. (I did say im running Slackware 10, but probably should have specified X.org) and im using graphical login.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast